LeapPad2 Explorer vs VTech InnoTab 2 vs Leapster GS vs MobiGo 2
Christmas 2012′s Big Battle
Bruised and battered from last year’s head-to-head, Leapfrog and VTech are prepared to do battle once more.
Both brands are entering a tablet-style and regular-style gamer into the Christmas 2012 title-fight.
To help you decide between the LeapPad 2, Leapster GS, InnoTab 2 and MobiGo 2, here’s Toy Tattle’s guide to the essential info.
If you have a child ages 7 years or over, they are nearing the upper end of the recomended age range, and you may get better value for money from one of these child-friendly tablet computers.
Here’s what they look like
VTech InnoTab 2
VTech MobiGo 2
All four of these educational handheld gamers have a few things in common:
- They can be used with cartridges or downloadable apps.
- They do not have WiFi connection so no need to worry about Internet saftey. Use the included USB cables to connect via your PC or laptop.
- Both VTech and Leapfrog have a central parent’s area online where you can check out your child’s progress with the games
- Curriculae are wider than just reading, writing and math. Games inlcude activities that build geography, science, health skills and more.
Comparison of the differences
|-||LeapPad2 Explorer||Leapster GS||InnoTab 2||MobiGo 2|
|Interface||touch-screen and tilt-sensor||touch-screen, tilt-sensor and kid-friendly controls||touch-screen and tilt-sensor||touch-screen, tilt-sensor, side control buttons and slide out keyboard|
|Memory||4GB built-in||2GB built-in||2GB built-in, expandable via SD card slot||75MB built-in|
|Screen Size||5 inches||3.5 inches||5 inches||tbc|
|Camera||Front and rear cameras capable of taking still photos and video footage||One camera for photos and video footage||One camera for photos and video footage||none|
These are the current prices for these gamers on Amazon. I’ve also included the older Leapster, LeapPad and InnoTab as they will be available at discounted prices and you may decide to buy these and nurture your Christmas budget.
You might also like
- 2012 guide to tablet computers for kids
- New Tabeo tablet exclusive to Toys R Us
- LeapPad Explorer vs LeapPad 2 Explorer
- InnoTab vs InnoTab 2
Liked this? Loved this? Found it useful? Show you appreciation by sharing on Twitter and Facebook using the buttons in the floating bar below.